Re: associative array questions

On 2022-12-12 20:39, Bart Schaefer wrote:

% : ${(P)list::="tea for two"}
%

Ha! I finally get to see that colon command do something. Anyway the real situation is running into trouble (I try to keep my questions here boiled down to the nub of the issue).  What's being modified is an array and the above method is interfering with the spit on lines; however it seems to be the perfect example of eval doing the work as a visual thinker would want it done:

local list=$1    # function takes name of array as argument.

eval 'list=( "${(@M)list:#(#i)*$SEARCHBUF*}" )'     # filter the array.

... it has a sort of 'just-do-it' directness to it.   The function was previously working on only a specific array, and I'm trying to get it to work on any array.  Anyway the 'eval' method seems to work perfectly.  Subject to better advice of course.