local functions

I see nothing to indicate it is possible, but can we make a helper function 'local'?  Just to keep them out of the name-space.  Putting 'local' in front of a function definition seems not to be an error, but it seems to make no difference.  I read that autoload could be used for something like this, but that requires separate files for each helper, if I understand. Not worth the trouble of 'unfunction'ing them.  Very minor issue.