Re: manual

On Wed, Dec 21, 2022, at 9:04 AM, Ray Andrews wrote:
> Yabut they sent you to the head of an entire nother section of the
> manual.  Avoiding an entire block of duplication could be OK but say
> something like: "There are many other 'set' switches that are duplicated
> in/for the 'setopt' command (q.v.) which you can read just below this
> entry."

It already says where to look.

	For the meaning of the other flags, see zshoptions(1).

>> with "set" and another for the long names for "set -o".
> Ah!  Another thing I missed.  It's far from clear that they're even
> talking about single-letter options.  Why not say that?

That wouldn't hurt, but zshoptions(1) goes into this at some length.

	Some options also have one or more single letter names.
	There are two sets of single letter options: one used by
	default, and another used to emulate sh/ksh (used when the
	SH_OPTION_LETTERS option is set).  The single letter options
	can be used on the shell command line, or with the `set',
	`setopt' and `unsetopt' builtins, as normal Unix options preceded
	by `-'.

	The sense of the single letter options may be inverted by
	using `+' instead of `-'.  Some of the single letter option
	names refer to an option being off, in which case the
	inversion of that name refers to the option being on.  For
	example, `+n' is the short name of `exec', and `-n' is the
	short name of its inversion, `noexec'.

> I spent about
> two hours reading, experimenting, re-writing, trying to get every bit of
> information out of that page and I missed 'set -A' (by itself) and
> single letter options entirely.

The synopsis makes it quite clear that -A and +A can be used alone.

The square brackets indicate that the enclosed items are optional.
Thus the "name" option-argument is optional when using -A or +A,
and -A and +A are themselves optional.

--
vq