order of sourcing

In my .zshrc, to source all my functions I just switch to the directory where they're stored and:

    for aa in *(.); do source $aa; done

... seems fine, but sometimes I'm editing one function or another and I run into 'not found' issues, like some subsidiary function has been 'lost'.  Sourcing it's file fixes the 'not found' but I'm wondering if there's some standard way of insuring that function files are sourced in a preferred order.  For some of them I've renamed the files in an alphabetical order since the above code seems to source the files alphabetically.  But it's add hoc and messy.  Dunno, I could list them all in a file in preferred order and then source that file.  But what's the done thing?