Separate cdpath elements in path-directories completion

I have several directories in $cdpath.

In tab completion on cd I have configured "local directory" to show up first and then "directory in cdpath". That is almost perfect.

Is it possible to show a separate completion section for each element in $cdpath? Looking at the code of _cd I can see that this is happening (excerpt):

  tmpcdpath=(${${(@)cdpath:#.}:#$PWD})
  alt=( 'path-directories:directory in cdpath:_path_files -W tmpcdpath -/' )

So I guess it could be done by having my own copy of _cd that changes this part of the code.

But perhaps there is a less invasive method I haven't discovered?

Sebastian