"history" modifier question

Hello,

Trying to use history modifier 'h [ digit ]' (the following also applies to
't [digit ]'),where digit is a scalar or integer, ( e.g. ${PWD:h${N}} ) to step
through a path via a loop, but this doesn't appear to be allowed. Tried
multiple ways of doing this including quoting.

This seems like a logical use of a parameter, but 'my' logic, sometimes,
doesn't match reality.

Is there a way of doing this or is this just not possible. If not could someone
tell me why, I would like to understand what I'm missing here. The man
page, AFAICT, doesn't say  one way or the other if this is possible. Unless,
"digit" is explicit here.

FYI, I did come up with an alternative method by using an array and split.

ZSH_VERSION: 5.9

Thanks for your time, and with regards,

Jim Murphy