Re: Bug/regression: tt(RANDOM) seed not updating when $RANDOM is used in a pipe

On Thu, Jun 29, 2023 at 11:16 AM Roman Perepelitsa
<roman.perepelitsa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On 6/29/23, Roman Perepelitsa <roman.perepelitsa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > >     % echo ${foo::=bar} | cat
> > >     % zmodload zsh/system; echo $sysparams[pid] | cat
> > >

> I can also confirm that the two test cases I posted above behave
> differently in zsh 5.4.2 and 5.9. In all these cases 5.9 behaves as I
> would expect, and the behavior of 5.4.2 is surprising to me.

The change that had this effect dates from May 2018 and has been "in
production" since the 5.6 release in September 2018, so I think it's
reasonable to say that it hasn't had any significant impact on usage
-- MacOS Catalina has zsh 5.7, Ubuntu 20.04 has 5.8 -- but it's
probably worth mentioning somewhere.