Re: Help fix Zsh shell command prompt error or stranee

On 8/20/23 1:30 AM, Roman Perepelitsa wrote:
In the vast majority of cases one can replace %{...%} with a
first-class %-sequence.

I question the "vast" quantifier.

For example, instead of %{\033[31m%} one canuse %F{red}.

Zsh has many SIMPLE PROMPT ESCAPES and CONDITIONAL SUBSTRINGS IN PROMPTS -- see zshmisc and / or zshall manual pages. But they all seem to be specific to what appears on the prompt line(s).

This starts falling apart when you print terminal control characters / escape sequences used to alter the terminal window title or re-define the default terminal background / foreground colors and / or resize / reposition the terminal window itself.

N.B. there is very much so a difference in re-defining the terminal's current default vs specifying colors in the actual output.

Zsh has the most feature rich prompt support that I remember seeing. But even that doesn't cover all the things that I do. Hence why Zsh includes the %{...$} and even the %G to alter how Zsh does or doesn't count characters output to the terminal.

Grant. . . .