Is there a way of getting current xterm buffer?

Hi,
I would like to implement a from-screen-words completion. For this, I need the current screen text. People have already used tmux for this, however I don't use it. Is there a way to somehow read screen-text/ I've have had hopes for it when reading xtermctl and promptnl (this function reads cursor position, so I've thought that maybe it could read the character at given position…), but no success at the end.

--
Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski