Re: Debug zsh (was: Re: quoting question)

On 9/13/23, Pier Paolo Grassi <pierpaolog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Il giorno mer 13 set 2023 alle ore 05:42 Bart Schaefer <
> schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 7:51 PM Jim <linux.tech.guy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Unless I misunderstood, adding 'setopt ignorebraces' to the function,
>> returned the
>> > same results as it did without it. Don't know if that helps, or
>> > confuses
>> things more.
>>
>> You have to setopt ignorebraces before you define the datetimetest
>> function.  Otherwise the internals of the function have already been
>> parsed and the behavior doesn't change.
> Hello, hope I'm doing this banching of the thread the right way

other than the top posting, it's probably fine :).

> I would like to understand this:

> <dquote braceparam braceparam braceparam braceparam dquote:~code/zsh>%
>
> is that output generated automatically or was it human-made?

That's the PS2 prompt, you can see the same thing if you run the same
command but without the quotes. The output above was meant to
demonstrate that the patch adding the same behavior with quotes would
be very backwards incompatible. (The expected result is to print the
string "{{{{")

--
Mikael Magnusson