Re[2]: Default setting of ZLE keymap

On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 12:27:26 +0100 (BST) Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

PS> > On 07/10/2023 22:13 Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
PS> > (1) The whole scheme of using VISUAL / EDITOR to select zsh bindings
PS> > should be abandoned.  It's obsolete and no one uses those variables
PS> > for that purpose any longer.  Zsh should default to emacs behavior
PS> > unless an rc-file explicitly performs "bindkey -v".
PS> >
PS> > Throwing the question out to a wider audience: If the zsh-users list
PS> > expresses no particular preference, or no need for #2, zsh-workers
PS> > will proceed with #1.
PS>
PS> Seems like a definite green light for this, as far as I can see.
PS>
PS> It's certainly something I've only ever fallen foul of, but I
PS> speak as an emacs user so am not really in the target user group.

 Just to give a point of view of someone who probably is, I do have a habit
of doing "export EDITOR=vim" when working on somebody else's machine to let
me edit the command line (I'm totally lost with the default key bindings
after so many years of using Vi ones) and also use my preferred editor with
the other programs (notably Git), but I guess this is not a very common use
case.

 Still, I'm not sure how does "nobody uses EDITOR any longer" imply that
zsh shouldn't select the default bindings if it is set: if it's really
never set, there is no harm in continuing to do it and if it is set, it
would help people like me.

 Regards,
VZ