Re: special characters in file names issue

On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 at 15:17, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/10/23, Roman Perepelitsa <roman.perepelitsa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 12:17 AM Jim <linux.tech.guy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Using scripts, looking to cleanup duplicate files even if named
>> differently.
>> The issue I ran into is when a file path contains parentheses. '(' or ')'
>>
>> Example File Name:  Wallpapers/Web_downloads/05 (1).jpg
>>
>> The following is part of an anonymous function:
>>
>> local E
>> local -a AllFileNames
>> local -A FileNameCkSum
>> for E (${(@)AllFileNames}) {
>> [[ -v FileNameCkSum[$E] ]] || FileNameCkSum[$E]=${$(shasum -a 1 $E)[1]} }
>> # line that fails
>>
>> AllFileName contains the result of a glob statement.
>>
>> Error Message:  (anon):<line no>: invalid subscript
>
> Associative arrays in zsh are finicky when it comes to the content of
> their keys. The problem you are experiencing can be distilled to this:
>
>     % typeset -A dict
>     % key='('
>     % [[ -v dict[$key] ]]
>     zsh: invalid subscript
>
> There is no simple quoting that you can apply to $key here: (q), (b),
> etc. are all wrong. You could perhaps escape a specific list of
> characters ('(', '[', '{' but not '$' or '*') although my memory tells
> me that some keys cannot be made to work under `[[ -v ...]]` or
> `unset` no matter how you try to escape them. I could be wrong though.

Not sure why I didn't get this error when testing yesterday, but in
this case you can also avoid it by using the more typical ((
$+dict[$key] )) test instead of [[ -v ...]].

Indeed. The two capricious constructs I know of that dislike weird keys are `[[ -v ... ]]` and `unset ...`.

Roman.