RE: zsh-no-ps2: A plugin that inserts a newline on Enter instead of displaying PS2

Haai,

On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 14:48:22 +0100, Roman Perepelitsa <roman.perepelitsa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> tl;dr: zsh-no-ps2 changes the behavior of Enter key to insert a
> newline instead of going into PS2
>
>     git clone https://github.com/romkatv/zsh-no-ps2.git ~/zsh-no-ps2
>     source ~/zsh-no-ps2/zsh-no-ps2.plugin.zsh
>
> Normally, when you press Enter in zsh, one of two things happens:

Might be worth noting that this is also the case with 'Return', which,
confusingly, produces a carriage return. ('Enter' does only do so by
later convention; the latter really means "submit data for immediate
processing", which is a different operation on mainframes).

> if
> the currently typed command is complete, zsh attempts to execute it;
> if it's incomplete, zsh displays the secondary prompt, also known as
> PS2, to invite you to continue typing the command. I hate when zsh
> goes into PS2 because to fix the command most of the time I need to
> *edit what I've already typed*, which cannot be done.

Interrupt, then recall the command from the history buffer. It's a
workaround, but it works :)

> Those of you who
> are using zsh4humans have been able to change this behavior so that
> Enter inserts a newline if the typed command is incomplete. I've just
> created a standalone plugin to make this feature available to
> everybody: https://github.com/romkatv/zsh-no-ps2. No more PS2!

An alternative is to define an external editor (grep for
'edit-command-line' in zshcontrib(1)), which will be available during
PS2 as well.

HTH,

        --zeurkous.

--