Re: Compctl fixes & a query

In message <27816.199507171717@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Zefram wrote:
>I think that, in the interests of consistency and name space
>preservation, it would be a good idea to use ~+n rather than ~n, as
>this reduces the number of characters that are treated specially.  ~+n
>and ~-n can then be interpreted however pushd interprets +n and -n,
>depending on whether PUSHD_MINUS is set or not.  What do people think
>of this?

I think that =1 is easy to type (no shift key).  I think that ~1 is a little more annoying (1 shift).  But I think that ~+1 is too cumbersome, IMHO.

Consider this:
=n is an absolute directory reference which corresponds directly to the directory stack, ie:

src/gnu Mon 17 13:59 % dirs -v
0       /pd/src/gnu
1       ~csim
2       ~
src/gnu Mon 17 13:59 % echo =1
/vobs/devel/shared/hsd100/sim

~+1 and ~-1 would refer to relative entries on the directory stack.  I prefer the absolute naming scheme, personally.

--Vin