Local variables and "typeset"

On Aug 4,  2:42am, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
} Subject: Re: New zed and refresh bug
}
} > On Jul 29,  4:21pm, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
} > } Subject: Re: New zed and refresh bug
} > }
} > } I's even simpler.  Since TMOUT is not special now, the patch below works.
} > } Note that integer makes TMOUT local.
} >
} > Yes; WHY???  This seems completely counterintuitive to me.
}
} typeset creates local variables as in ksh.

Well, that's at least a reason, but it seems silly to have a special
variant of typeset called "local" which rejects certain flags like -x,
but then add "oh, by the way, typeset creates local variables too."

Is it even possible from inside a shell function to create a variable
which has a special property (such as integer, or right-justified) and
is NOT local to the function BUT is NOT exported into the environment?

It seems as though this *should* be possible, which (coupled with the
existence of "local") is why I say that it's counterintuitive to have
integer/typeset/etc. create locals.  It would make much more sense if
"typset -x" always created environment variables, "typeset" always
created shell global variables, and "local" always created locals.

--
Bart Schaefer                             Brass Lantern Enterprises
http://www.well.com/user/barts            http://www.nbn.com/people/lantern

New male in /home/schaefer: