Semantics of compctl -X

It seems that the behaviour of -X "Explanation" compctl flag has changed
since 2.5.03.  It used to work like this:

compctl -X "Testing" howdy
howdy <tab>

- would give :  "Testing"

Now, in Zsh3, however, it appears to *not* echo anything unless it's got
something to complete.

My relevant options are autolist, automenu, completealiases.  In
particular, the old behaviour seems to be used by some of the example
completions:

compctl -k '(if of conv ibs obs bs cbs files skip file seek count)' \
	-S '=' -x 's[if=], s[of=]' -f - 'C[0,conv=*,*] n[-1,,], s[conv=]' \
	-k '(ascii ebcdic ibm block unblock lcase ucase swap noerror \
sync)' \
	-q -S ',' - 'n[-1,=]' -X '<number>'  -- dd

Where -X '<number>' won't appear for me.

Am I doing something noticeable wrong?  From the code it looks like the
behaviour has changed, but then this example completion seems wrong.  I'd
like the old behaviour to be an option, as well.

Greg J. Badros
http://www.cs.duke.edu/~gjb