Re: 8-bit characters in history and completion

  [..8-bit characters in completion displayed as \M-x...]

 andrej> I hope yes ;) It depends on current locale settings. The shell variables,
 andrej> which control it, are (from low to high prio): LANG, LC_CTYPE, LC_ALL.
 andrej> You have to set one of them to the name of German locale. I don't know,
 andrej> how locale names look like on your system; on my setting LC_CTYPE to
 andrej> De_DE.88591 solves your problem.

Thanks. It turned out that the isprint function displays the
appropriate characters even for the en_US locale on my system
(IRIX). So setting

LANG=en_US

does the trick. Thanks again,
andreas