screen problems with bindkey -v set

I am trying to complete a port of zsh v3.0.1 to OpenNT.
Everything seems to work fine if bindkey -e is set.
When I use bindkey -v, although the key sequence performs
the proper vi actions, the screen is garbled.

Given history:

53  ls
54  ls -al

<Esc>k   returns the following at the prompt

> kls -al

If I then try and execute the following sequence,

^d$als            - go to the beginning of the line, delete the
                    line, append "ls" <enter>

I get the following:

> kls -a^d$als

I get the expected "ls" output, but I shouldn't be seeing any
of the vi command key input.

This works fine using the same source base on HP-UX[9,10],
SunOS, and Solaris.

Suggestions?

I hope to send in the diffs to run on OpenNT when this is complete.

Regards,

John