zsh not sourcing .zsh*

I just set up a new Sun running Solaris 2.5.1.  After installing zsh 3.0.1 on
it and copying my old .zsh* files over, I noticed that in some cases it is
not sourcing the .zsh* files.  When I log in, it works fine.  When I su to
root, I normally follow this with a 'zsh -'.  On this system, I noticed that
my prompt didn't change to reflect root's PROMPT variable, unlike the other
systems I have it installed on.  I also tried 'zsh -l', 'zsh -l -i', and
'zsh -i' to no avail (in all cases the quotes are mine for clarity, not
actually part of the command).  After I do a '. /.zshrc', everything is fine
(except for the rest of the .zsh* files).

Ideas?

John