zsh-3.0.2 core'ing + a small feature request

hi,
i am not on any of the zsh lists so please cc me on any replies.

zsh-3.0.2 and solaris 2.5.1
when i do....

1> ls -al
2> vared -h 1
3> <esc>k
which gets me the ls -al line again, then hit return and it cores, every time.

and whilst i'm here :)
when i have command spelling correction on, make a mistake and hit e to edit
the line, is/would it be possible to have it put me in vi command mode
instead of vi insert mode?  as i find that 90% of the time i have to hit
escape first anyway before i can do any editing,
cheers,

ps if you need any more info on the core feel free to email me.
pps great shell btw, keep up the good work :-)