bindkey and international characters on 3.0.5

hi,
someone ran accross this behaviour on 3.0.5 for windows NT, and I am trying
to figure out
if this is my bug or something in the standard distribution itself.

basically, start zsh -f, then do:

bindkey -s '\M-`a'  '\C-v\M-`'

This should make meta-`a print a-grave.

However, I find that it doesn't work until this bindkey is executed twice.

I have not changed anything drastic  in the bindkey routines while porting
to NT (as
far as i know anyway), so I'm wondering if 3.0.5 shows the same behaviour on

unix as well.

Unfortunately, I can't verify this on unix myself (the telnet i have doesn't
map alt to meta. escape doesn't seem to work too well)

I was hoping one of you had used this before, or knows what might be
happening.

thanks,
-amol