Re: zsh 3.0/3.1 bug, zsh 3.1.4 regression

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Aug 18, 11:42pm, SL Baur wrote:
> } Subject: Re: zsh 3.0/3.1 bug, zsh 3.1.4 regression
> }
> } Please do not condemn those of us without true Bourne shells to
> } running bash as /bin/sh.  Things worked better in zsh-3.1.2 than they
> } do in either 3.1.3 or 3.1.4.

To be fair, I only tested 3.1.4 far enough to see that the $LANG
problem wasn't fixed, then didn't install it.  I'm running 3.1.3
(patched for the $LANG problem) as $SHELL and 3.1.2 as /bin/sh.

> You may think that, and may even have evidence of it, though I find
> 3.1.4 (plus a few recent patches) preferable to anything since 3.1 went
> off on its own development branch.

O.K.

> However, this particular detail ($^whatever) has been around since
> zsh 2.x,

Right.  I later recalled having older binaries laying around and found
2.6-beta20 exhibited the same behavior.

> with the only change being that before 3.0 it used to mean "toggle
> the option," which only made sense if you knew how the option was
> set to begin with.

I didn't know that.  O.K.

I didn't intend any criticism of the One True Shell, or of its
developers.  You've created a remarkable program I can't live
without and I'm only trying to help.