Arithmetic expression (bug?)

Okay, is a base-ten number, in the right context, an arithmetic
expression?  The manual-page bit dealing with Arithmetic Evaluation
(zshmisc(1)) doesn't explicitly say so, but it seems obvious that it
should.

So, given this:
-----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------
foo=alpha
print -- ${(l<$[10]><x>)foo}
print -- ${(l<10><x>)foo}
-----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------
why does the third line produce:
./testfile: error in flags [3]
?

According to zshexpn(1), the Parameter Expansion Flag 'l' expects the
first field to be 'expr', the width of the output string.  This would
appear to be treated as a numerical value ;^) and I expected a value of
'10' for the field to work.

Is the bug in me or in zsh (3.1.5 unpatched)?

Thanks.
--
--> Phil Pennock ; GAT d- s+:+ a22 C++(++++) UL++++/I+++/S+++/H+ P++@ L+++
E-@ W(+) N>++ o !K w--- O>+ M V !PS PE Y+ PGP+ t-- 5++ X+ R !tv b++>+++ DI+ D+