WORDCHARS and word-killing

In a previous post (archive/latest/1947) I suggested changing WORDCHARS
if using 'emulate' (and by implication if invoked accordingly).

Investigating the behaviour of other shells, I've just hit a snag.  In
bash (which is also my /bin/sh) ESC-^H and ^W do different things.

ESC-^H behaves as though '/' is not in WORDCHARS, whilst ^W behaves as
though '/' is in WORDCHARS.

pdksh behaves for both cases as though '/' is not in WORDCHARS.

I'm about to download Peter Stephenson's patched archive (when it's
weekend phone rate) to explore and start writing patches.  I've looked
into it and am confident enough now of zsh's layout to write a patch for
the simple case, but I'm not about to get involved in ZLE behaviour.  Is
bash worth worrying about here?
--
--> Phil Pennock ; GAT d- s+:+ a22 C++(++++) UL++++/I+++/S+++/H+ P++@ L+++
E-@ W(+) N>++ o !K w--- O>+ M V !PS PE Y+ PGP+ t-- 5++ X+ R !tv b++>+++ DI+ D+