Re: PATCH: completion in braces

On Oct 19,  3:50pm, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: PATCH: completion in braces
}
} Horrors.
}
} This allows completion inside nested braces.
} [...] the next thing on my list if the nested-quotation problem and
} that may become at least as hard as this one...

Is there any point at which one of these glorious hacks of yours is
likely to make the code *simpler*? :-)

I always get nervous when I see a uuencoded block, but this doesn't
look too horrific at all.

} Then there was a lot of fiddling [...]
}
} No fun, really.

Oh, c'mon, admit it -- you like this sort of thing.

} I stumbled of some code in `do_single()' (that's where a single, full
} match is inserted -- either because there is only one match or during
} menucompletion) which makes sure that the otherwise automatically
} inserted comma when completing in braces is *not* inserted during a
} menucompletion. Does anyone rememeber why we did that?

When one of the possible menucompletions is a directory, the directory
name gets a slash auto-appended to it, which then is autoremoved when
you type the comma.  If the brace-completion code also auto-appended a
comma, the slash wouldn't get autoremoved when you typed another comma.
I think.

} The second question: `zle_tricky.c' has now more than 10000
} lines. Ouch. Maybe we should cut it in two/three/four/etc. parts. But
} 1) if we ever offer all the things `comp{ctl,gen}' can do via
} `compadd' plus something, then there is a lot of code that can be
} removed from the file (or maybe if we have these mechanisms, we can at
} least put that stuff, which will eventually be removed, into a
} separate file)

If you were up for a major code-factoring project -- refer to my remark
above about glorious hacks -- I think it would be a great idea to make
old-completion and new-completion into separate modules that both call
a set of common functions wherever possible.

} 2) I fear, if we cut it, you'll see a lot of my
} blood come dripping out of it.

Well, as long as we still have you around to provide transfusions ...