Re: 3.0 DESTDIR

On Oct 23,  8:45pm, Clint Adams wrote:
} Subject: 3.0 DESTDIR
}
} Bart, please backport the DESTDIR stuff for inclusion in 3.0.8.

I'll consider it, but in retrospect I'm doubtful that it should have been
included in 3.1 in the first place.  (Yes, I know I argued in favor at
the time.)

However, I now can't see how

	make DESTDIR=/foo/bar/baz install

differs in end result from

	make
	make prefix=/foo/bar/baz/usr/local install

provided that the same options were passed to "configure" in each case.
It just seems we've scattered references to $DESTDIR in a whole lot of
files (introducing several bugs that had to be fixed later along the way)
without actually achieving anything new.

If you can show me something substantially different that DESTDIR is the
best way to handle, I might swing back the other way again.