Re: PATCH: phony make targets

Peter Stephenson wrote:
>GNU make sometimes creates empty files with the names of phony targets such
>as `FORCE' and `all'.  This should help in this case, I hope other forms of
>make will just ignore it.

makes that don't recognise it will ignore it, except that it will become
the default target if it is the first rule in the Makefile.  It should
go at the end of the Makefile.  Or for greater maintainability, put a
.PHONY pseudo-rule after the rule for each phony target.

But I'd like to know when make will actually create a file for a phony
target.  It shouldn't be possible for it to do that; there's something
seriously wrong if that's happening.

-zefram