Re: PATCH: _a2ps completion

Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
>Ok, I wasn't aware of the possibilities of *newer versions* of GNU
>a2ps. So I change my statement to: I'm very much against completing
>all files unconditionally. We should do that only if the a2ps is a
>newer GNU version that supports automatic conversion and whatnot. Ok?

I too didn't know a2ps had changed to do this stuff.  Considering
only older versions, I'm still in favour of completing all files
unconditionally.  PostScript (and HTML, and TeX) files are perfectly
valid text files, and therefore perfectly valid subjects for all commands
that deal with text files, including a program that renders plain text
in PostScript.

>My a2ps (4.10.1) at least produces only pages containing the
>PostScript code for PostScript files. And since only few people will
>probably want that, I still think PostScript files shouldn't be
>completed for such a version by default.

If we go the way you suggest, we might as well not complete *.c as
an argument to gcc -o.  Or one's own username as an argument to su.
Or /vmunix as an argument to rm.  Where does it end?  Least surprise is
the key.

-zefram