Re: Gettext, cproto, configure, license

Michal Kuratczyk wrote:
>- using gettext to provide localized messages

We discussed locale usage recently.  I think this is the only type
of locale usage that would be uncontroversial.  It's just a matter of
someone producing the (inevitably large) code patch, and someone doing
translations.

>- using 'cproto' instead of awk script and strange formatting

The awk script does a lot besides just generating prototypes.  And we
can't rely on cproto being available on every build system (I don't have
it here, for example, and this is a recent Red Hat).

>- adding configure option to provide building minimal version of zsh
>  (for using as a /bin/sh or as a rescue tool). Only POSIX-sh
>  capabilities whould be available in such version.

That's something I'm planning.  There's some work to do with modules
first.

>I created RPM package with zsh, but I am not sure how should I call the
>license. Usuall in RPM packages one uses keywords like 'public domain',
>'distributable', 'GPL' or something like that. What should I put there?

It's the zsh license -- it's unique to zsh.  Its effect is pretty much
identical to the BSD license, so you could reasonably describe it as
"BSD-like".

I'd much rather we used one of the standard licenses (and actually I've
changed my mind recently and come to quite like the GPL).  But we've
already changed the license twice that I remember, and it's a complex
issue, so I don't see us switching any time soon.

-zefram