LC_CTYPE weirdness

This one is puzzling me.

i have a line "export LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1" in one of my startup
files, and it used to work fine.  I recently got a new laptop,
and went on to install the same OS, but while reinstalling
packages, i ended up upgrading zsh from 3.0.5 to 3.0.7.
(e.g. there is a slight chance that this problem isn't coming
from zsh, but..)

anyhow, for some reason, LC_CTYPE doesn't seem to get
exported, yet it is set (as a variable).
splitting the line in two ("LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1;export
LC_CTYPE") fixes the problem.

Christophe