Re: PATCH: 3.1.6-dev-18 AIX dependency fixes

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> Just mod_exports added.

There was a line wrapping problem again, so this had to be applied by hand.

> Are we going to get a 3.1.7 (and maybe 4.0) out soonish? The 3.1 series
> seems to be quite stable to me now. Also, 3.0 seems to be very far
> behind now and it might be better to have more users using the new
> functionality.

3.1.7 should certainly appear soon.  The major items on my to-do list are

-- rewrite compinstall.  Either this has to be done or it should simply be
missed out, since the current version is essentially useless.  I have
started working on this, but there is a lot to do even to be able to set
the basic styles for basic contexts.  In addition it's aimed at a moving
target, even if moving more slowly.

-- I'd like to get out the chapter of my zsh guide for new-style completion
in time for the release.  The first draft is more or less finished, though
the same problems apply and it needs rewriting already (I've changed the
context stuff, but it still needs checking, and I need to change the
$compmatchers stuff).

Neither of these is absolutely required, but if I don't get them ready for
3.1.7 they are likely to drift off.

There are other things --- for example, I suspect getting and setting of
parameters internally needs a complete rethink --- but it's unrealistic to
put a timetable on them.

Since completion now appears to be pretty much stable, 4.0.1 could then
appear without too many user-visible changes.  However, I think the
wordcode stuff is going to continue to evolve anyway (rewrite parser to
eliminate the old-style structs altogether, aim to eliminate
HEAPALLOC/PERMALLOC by passing allocation strategy directly to appropriate
constructors), and I don't think it would be a good idea to produce 4.0.1
with the current hybrid state, though it won't matter for 3.1.7.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>