Multiple styles databases RE: list-colors does not work RE: 3.1.6-dev-18

> Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
>
> > list-colors completely stopped to work after installing dev-18.
> I now have
> >
> > zstyle ':completion:*' menu 'select=0'
> > zstyle ':completion:*:default' list-colors ''
> >
> > Menu works, but list-colors not. I tried all sort of things
> (:completeion:*,
> > :completion:*:*:*:*:*) without success.
> >
> > Surprisingly enough, menu select works :-)
>
> That's a result of the default style for list-colors, which has a far
> more specific pattern. See the discussion started by Peter about
> default settings.

So, you mean to say, that

zstyle ':completion:*::::default' ...

is more specific, than

zstyle ':completion:::::default' list-colors ''

???

And the following is not described in current manual:

- what empty part means. Is "::" the same as ":*:" from the matching point
of view?
- does '*' match muliple parts or just anything in current part?

And why not to use multiple style sets (like multiple resources in X11)?
compinit or functions could define there own "default" styles and users
would define "user" style. If style is not found in user database, it is
looked up in default database. this would completely eliminate above
confusion. If user sets "catch-all" style - it is always used; else we
finally fallback to default style.

/andrej