Re: help with _match, globcomplete etc.

Oliver Kiddle wrote:

> Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
>
> > You can bind expand-word to ^X$.
>
> True though I was mainly after not having variable expansion ever when I
> press tab.
>
> Incidentally, I tried creating:
> expand-variables() {
>   setopt localoptions noglob
>   zle expand-word
> }
> zle -N expand-variables

Why use expand-word at all then? Modified from a widget that appeared
on the users list some time ago:

  expand-variables() {
    local skip="${(M)LBUFFER%%[ 	\;\|\{\}]##}"
    local word="${(M)${LBUFFER%${skip}}%%[^ 	\;\|\{\}]##}" exp

    exp=${(e)word}

    [[ -n "$exp" ]] && LBUFFER="${LBUFFER%${word}${skip}}${exp}${skip}"
  }
  zle -N expand-variables

Or some such.

> so that ^X$ wouldn't also glob complete but it comes back with any glob
> characters quoted. It seems that expand-word always does this when
> noglob is set. Surely this isn't right? In the process, I also noticed
> that the quoting can go slightly wrong if there are opened but not
> closed braces: $code[ai]/{a,b<Ctrl-X,*> comes back with a quoted '[' in
> the middle.

Maybe I'll have a look some time...

> > Have you had a look at the _expand completer? And the _expand_word
>
> I have now but I can't get it to work. I've probably missed something
> but this won't work:
>
> zsh -f
> autoload -U compinit
> compinit
> bindkey '^I' complete-word
> zstyle -d
> zstyle ':completion:*::::' completer _expand
> echo *<tab>
>
> I was expecting the last line to glob expand (as if tab was still bound
> to expand-or-complete) but all I can get is a beep. I've tried changing
> the related styles without any effect.

Setting `zstyle ':completion:*:expand:*' glob 1' works for me.

It is a bit irritating that you have to switch on at least one style
to make _expand do anything...

Bye
 Sven