Hmm, something wrong with _multi_parts?

The doc says:

_multi_parts SEP ARRAY
     This function gets two arguments: a separator character and an
     array.  As usual, the ARRAY may be either the name of an array
     parameter or a literal array in the form `(foo bar)' (i.e. a list
     of words separated by white space in parentheses). [...]

But if I call it with "a literal array in the form `(foo bar)'" it behaves
very strangely.  Stuffing the same strings into an actual array and then
using the name of that array works as I expect.