Re: Precompiled wordcode zsh functions

On Feb 29,  8:45am, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: Re: Precompiled wordcode zsh functions
}
} [...]  In my implementation digest files are really only one-file-
} directories. I.e. they are searched like normal directories by
} getfpfunc() (more precisely a utility function used by it). It will
} not define all functions in the digest file immediately. I really
} prefer that behaviour because a user has to worry about nothing when,
} for example, he wants to override one of the functions with his own
} definition in a directory earlier in $fpath.

I'm concerned that we should at least have a way to produce a warning
about it.  I mean, if I were to invent a function named `_files' that
had nothing to do with completion, and put it in a directory early in
my $fpath -- even PWS's guide recommends putting your own functions
before distributed ones -- three-quarters of the completion system
would be mysteriously broken for me.  If the whole completion system
has been hidden inside one giant file, how do I find out what has gone
wrong?

And lest you think this is farfetched, please note that I've had the
following in my .zshenv for many years now[*]:

    alias calc="noglob _calc"
    _calc() { awk "BEGIN {print $*}" < /dev/null }

So existing user functions with leading underscores are not out of the
question.

Oh, and what's the handling with respect to kshautoload vs. a function
like _cvs that wants to define other functions and then call itself?

[*] Predating floating point support in zsh ...  I never learned "bc".