Re: PATCH: completion for perl

Adam Spiers wrote:

> Whilst struggling with the mess which is _perl_config_vars below, it
> struck me how an equivalent of compset -P which matched the /whole/ of
> PREFIX rather than just the beginning would have come in handy.

Err... `compset -P "*"' does that, but it leaves you with an empty
$PREFIX, of course, which is probably not what one wants.

> Is
> this worthwhile, Sven, or is my whole approach coming from the wrong
> angle?  Also, as you can see from the compstate[quoting] line below, I
> tried to get completion working for
>
>   $ perl -V:'<TAB>
>
> and
>
>   $ perl -V:"<TAB>
>
> so that it would insert a single space after each configuration
> variable completed while within quotes, rather than a quoted single
> space, but I didn't fully understand how compset -q works, and
> couldn't stop it from eating up the opening quote.  Help! :-)

The problem is that we check the quoting stuff at the very beginning
of the completion code -- and detect only quotes at the beginning of
the word. So what we could get to work is completion of

  $ perl '-V:<TAB>

but not with the quote after the colon. That's done with first calling
`compset -q', then the `compset -P'. Getting quotes in words to work
is to hard to make me try it (all kinds of nasty interactions with the
lexer). But maybe calling first `compset -P' and then `compset -q'
should have the same effect as the other way round... I currently
don't remember why it behaves the way it does.

Bye
 Sven