Re: bug in FAQ section 1.7?

Adam Spiers wrote:
>  If you have zsh in a subdirectory mytt(bin) of your home directory,
>  put this in .profile:
>              ^^^^^^^^
>
>I tried this in order to get my default shell on zsh.sourceforge.net
>to be the one in /home/groups/zsh/bin, but it doesn't work.

Your login shell should be /bin/sh, which will execute .profile.  I use
this technique consistently on all systems, regardless of whether or not
the zsh I want to use is permitted as a login shell.  I find it useful
to have a consistent, same-everywhere environment to run my login stuff.

I'm always wary about making .profile unconditionally exec another shell,
though, especially when it's a shell likely to get updated.  For paranoia,
the first thing in my .profile is

	test ."$TERM" = .un && exec /bin/sh

which provides a way to avoid all the cleverness if stuff goes
wrong.  (For more cleverness that could go wrong, have a look at
/home/users/zefram/.profile on SourceForge.)

-zefram