Re: bindkey bug with zsh-3.1.6-dev-21?

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 10:58:14AM +0200,
Sven Wischnowsky <wischnow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_K=F6hler?= wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Seems that there's a problem with bindkey and zsh-3.1.6-dev-21 and
> > zsh-3.1.6-dev-22:
> >
> > When I use this .zshrc:
> >
> >   bindkey -e
> >   export EDITOR=3Dvi
> >
> > I get not tab-completion. If I type "bindkey", I get a long list of
> > bindkeys, amongst others this one:
> > "^I" expand-or-complete
> >
> > So, the binding is there, but it just doesn't work :-(
> >
> > The funny thing is, when I just have the "export EDITOR=3Dvi" line in my
> > =2Ezshrc and type "bindkey -e" on the prompt later, tab-completion works.
> > How to resolve the problem?
>
> Put `zmodload zsh/compctl' in your `.zshrc'. Or better, use the new
> completion system (autoloading and calling `compinit').

Well, *I* do use the new completion system, but the one who found the
problem (tries zsh because I showed him what it can do) doesn't (yet?).

> Ick. The problem is that in autoload_zleread() we do:
>
>     if (load_module("zsh/zle"))
> 	load_module("zsh/compctl");
>
> i.e., we attempt to load compctl only if loading zle succeeds. For
> people who have a call to `bindkey' in their .z*, the zle module will
> already be loaded, re-loading fails and compctl is not loaded. Bummer.

Uhm. Bad.

> Can anyone think of a solution for this? I can't (apart from trying to
> load compctl unconditionally, which I don't like).

Is there a test whether or not a module is loaded?
Something like

    if (load_module("zsh/zle") || is_loaded_module("zsh/zle"))
       load_module("zsh/compctl");

If there is no such function (I don't have any insight in zsh's source)
perhaps now is the time to implement one :-)

Other possible solution: load zsh/compctl if there's a bindkey in .z* -
but that's of course not very intuitive.

> Bye
>  Sven

CU,
Thomas