Re: PATCH: completion for file descriptors

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 11:19:50AM +0200,
Oliver Kiddle <opk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
>
> > Yes, function moving and ordering before 4.0...
> What you suggest for the basic stuff sounds good to me.
> > The other stuff is harder to decide. _rpm, for example can also be
> > useful on non-Linux systems. I don't know debian, but I guess the
> > commands from that directory can be useful elsewhere, too. So maybe we
> > should package the functions in a way that reflects what the commands
> > do (network, package-managers, ...).
> That is a bit more diffcult. I think I would prefer to stick to
> directories which group together commands which users will generally
> have all or none of as it is easier to specify whether you want a whole
> directory than to pick and choose from specific commands taking each on
> their own. I expect that it is fairly rare for someone to use rpm on
> something other than Linux. Would there be problems involved in making
> the installation of the functions intelligently only pick out
> completions for commands which exist on the system?

Well, yes. I'd see a problem if zsh wouldn't install ssh completion
because there is no ssh installed (just because someone forgot to
install it), ssh gets installed later, and the completion is not there.
(anything besides ssh may be used as an example)
One could argue "then do a make install again", but what about people
who are low on disk space and just have deleted the source tree again?
Download again. Bad.

CU,
Thomas

--