Re: Fw: poor man's wget

Peter Stephenson wrote:
>> > { echo GET /; echo; cat; } <>/dev/tcp/www.server.com/80

Having the shell give pathnames magic semantics that the rest of the
OS doesn't is evil and rude.  That sort of feature should be done in a
user-space filesystem.

>This could be done without much difficulty by simplifying zftp_open and
>wiring the code into the existing redirection stuff.  Unfortunately no-one
>else apart from Zefram has shown much interest in the network stuff, so
>it's unlikely to happen any time soon.

Hmm.  I do have some future plans for a shell module that would do
generic socket stuff of this nature (using a more rational syntax),
though, as you say, it's unlikely to happen any time soon.

>You could probably then rewrite most if not all of zftp as shell functions.

Yes.

-zefram