Re: Getting "parse error" from _path_files

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> Cut'n'paste the following into a zsh-3.1.7:
>
> echo "${(@)${(@s:|:)${(@)${(@f)$(< /etc/printcap)}:#[ 	\#]*}%%:*}%%[ 	]*}"
>
> Note that inside each pair of [ ] are a space and a tab.
>
> I get, at each tab:
>
> _path_files:249: parse error
>
> This is mildly annoying, as it aborts completion without giving the system a
> chance to clean up (e.g., it's another case where very bad things happen if
> it is _complete_debug that's called).  I vaguely recall forcing something
> into a $(...) in some other completer to avoid a similar problem.
>
> There are actually two things at issue here.  The second is that I'd rather
> that completion didn't happen when I'm doing cut'n'paste.  I tried putting:
>
>     (( PENDING )) && compstate[insert]=tab
>
> near the top of _main_complete, right after curcontext is set up, and that
> seems to help a bit, but I'm rather leery of that solution.  It does need
> to use PENDING somehow, though.

It should then immediately return, too (to really avoid calling all
that completion code).

> Returning to the original issue:  Perhaps it would be possible to special-
> case parsing within ${(e)...} so that errors of this sort simply return an
> empty value for the parameter rather than aborting the whole call chain?
> This would correspond to what happens when you use `eval', as in:
>
> function fail() {
>     local x y z
>     x='${y'
>     eval 'z=${(e)x}'
>     echo got here
>     z=${(e)x}
>     echo did not get here
> }
>
> Alternately, of course, we could use `eval' on line 249 of _path_files and
> in similar spots, but the quoting may sometimes get messy ...

How about a parameter flag, the opposite of `X', but used for `e' to
make it ignore parse errors and return an empty string in such cases?

Or make `e' not report errors normally and use `X' for `e', too, to
make it report errors?

Bye
 Sven