Re: PATCH: expansion

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> > Glob expansion including tilde expansion was the final annoyance that
> > made me stop using _expand altogether.
>
> You might want to try again with the latest keep-prefix style (which has a
> sensible default) to see if it's any better, and what if anything remains
> to do.

That's certainly better but it has reminded me why I stopped using
_expand:

cd ~+<tab> expands, even with keep-prefix. I use the autopushd option
and really like being able to do cd ~+<tab and using the list of
directories to return to a previous directory.

Similar to this is the following:
hash -d abc=whatever
hash -d abcd=whatever

I'm always used to completion not doing anything where there is more
than one match so I don't like it when ~abc<tab> expands ~abc.

One thing which I like about the way expand-or-complete works is that
for example, $HOME<tab> will expand but $HOME/<tab> doesn't. In general,
I prefer variables and tildes not to be expanded but in some cases I
specifically want them expanded and if I press tab immediately after
something, I've probably conciously thought to do the expansion. Tab is
always much handier than ^X$ so this is something I like. Globs aren't
mixed with completion as often so I generally do want globs expanded
which is why I wanted subst-only-globs.

Oliver