Re: wish for a colored completion system

On Jun 9,  9:24am, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: Re: wish for a colored completion system
}
} Bart Schaefer wrote:
}
} > I'm not sure why ':completion:*:ssh:*' doesn't work for the combined
} > listing; perhaps it's a bug.  Sven?
}
} Hm, yes, the description in the docs make it sound as if it should
} work. The problem is that without separate groups there is no way for
} the completion code to find out that with
}
}   zstyle ':completion:*:ssh:*:hosts' list-colors '=a*=31'
}   zstyle ':completion:*:ssh:*:users' list-colors '=b*=32'
}
} hosts starting with `b' should be coloured with `32'. We would need a
} per-match colouring for that and that's too expensive.

I think you misunderstood my question.  I didn't ask why

    zstyle ':completion:*:ssh:*:hosts' list-colors '=a*=31'

doesn't work.  I asked why

    zstyle ':completion:*:ssh:*' list-colors '=a*=31'

doesn't work.  There isn't any group involved there at all; I don't ask
for the hosts to be colored separately from the users; I just ask for
anything that happens to be there (and that begins with `a') to work.
But it doesn't, unless I set group-name ''.