Re: bug in _mutt ?

> The _mutt_cache is initialized by grepping your .muttrc (or the file that
> you name in the $muttrc variable, which you should set somewhere in your
> .zshrc file if it's not ~/.muttrc) for the string "mailboxes" and then
> throwing away the first word of the result.  So it could be coming from
> there, if the grep is finding more words in .muttrc than Clint expected
> (he wrote the original _mailboxes, I don't use mutt and have no idea
> what a .muttrc file looks like).

[Disclaimer: this is off the top of my head and may be grossly incorrect.]

A .muttrc is a just series of predicates separated by line breaks.
The mailboxes "command" is optional, and mutt is perfectly usable without it.

mailboxes =zsh-workers +zsh-users

is equivalent to

mailboxes =zsh-workers
mailboxes +zsh-users

The arguments to 'mailboxes' are a space-delimited list of, well, mailboxes.
These are parsed in precisely the same manner as the argument to mutt -f,
which is to say that a listed mailbox can be a file/directory name or shortcut.
Thus the mailboxes config lines, if they exist, can be used as potential
completions for -f.

More about arguments to -f:

It can be the full pathname to an mbox or MMDF file or the full
directory name of an MH or Maildir folder.

Arguments beginning with a = are exactly like arguments beginning
with +, which is about the same as + for elm -f.

More precisely, +abc or =abc expands to $folder/abc,
folder defaults to ~/Mail, but can be set in the global
or local muttrc thusly:

set folder="~/nonconformistmail"

Finally (I hope), there are the short shortcuts !, <, and >.