Re: Context-sensitive ZLE

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> Now that the completion system is able to set up all this wonderful context,
> I'm wondering about being able to use it elsewhere in zle.
>
> For example, I'd like backward-kill-word to stop at dots when I'm editing
> an IP address in an ssh or telnet command, but to delete past dots and stop
> at slashes when I'm editing a file name.
>
> It can almost be done with a completion function that figures out how to
> modify the word and then calls compadd -U, but that doesn't work for e.g.
> transpose-words (or anything else that spans more than one word).

One of my favourite pastimes is currently to think about doing to zle
what we've done to the completion system. I.e. reduce the internals to
the basics (unlike completion, most things are already there for zle)
and then shell functions...

Then we would be able to use as many styles as possible, of course.

(I'm not very happy looking up styles from the C code and have avoided
it until now, because it would defeat functions that define a zstyle
shell function to get at the styles used... and things like that.)

Ideally, we should probably put even more things into C-code
(mailcheck comes to mind). But non of this before 4.0, of course.

Hm, probably not very helpful, this `answer', sorry ;-}

Bye
 Sven