Prompt %~ (sometimes) expands /local/src/zsh to ~unambiguous

I have noticed that every now and then `print -P "%~"` prints "~unambiguous".
Today I noticed it (in my xterm title) after 'cd /local/src/zsh'.  This was
with yesterdays zsh-3.1.9-dev-1 cvs version.  I tried zsh-3.1.9 and that
worked OK.  However I was surprised to find that after I exited the zsh-3.1.9
shell, thus returning to the latest zsh-3.1.9-dev-1, it still worked OK.  I
have been unable to get it to misbehave since.
--
peta