Re: 'insecure directories' warning

Bart Schaefer (schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Jul 25,  4:17pm, Adam Spiers wrote:
> } Subject: 'insecure directories' warning
> }
> } A month ago, Bart wrote:
> } > The other problem is that when I answer "y" to the question "there are
> } > insecure directories -- proceed?" I expected that to mean that it
> } > would USE those directories, not ignore them.
> }
> } Nothing seems to have been done about this.
>
> Yes, it has.  The patch was 12033 (the ChangeLog entry is rather brief).

Ah right.  Sorry 'bout that :-)

> } Also, it would be nice if the user gets told which directories are
> } insecure, otherwise he doesn't stand much of a chance of fixing them.
>
> Hrm.  Maybe a separate function to check for and report this?  I don't
> know if we want the compinit output to get any more verbose than it is.
> On the other hand, it's only a one-line change, so maybe some of you can
> try this out and see what you think (the output is a couple of screenfuls
> long for me because of RedHat's special groups trick):

I'd say it's better than nothing, but yes, it is a bit too verbose if
the problem affects too many functions.  A separate function would be
good; then it could output stuff like:

/usr/local/share/zsh/3.1.9-dev-3/functions/X contains functions not
owned by you or by root; the first such function is _x_arguments.
Continue anyway [ny]?

I'd also suggest replacing 'continue' with something which makes it
more obvious what the two choices are.  At the moment if you're
invoking compinit from .zshrc, it sounds a bit like you want to exit
the shell if you hit 'n'.