Re: PATCH: module aliases done the other way

> On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
>
> > I shall leave this for further discussion
>
> The only discussion I think this needs is to say "put it in."

Doesn't sound like the start of a controversy.  I've committed the changes,
with a few tweaks to the description in the zmodload section (mostly
pointing out you can have aliases/with/paths and the paths don't have to
exist).

I've also removed the old aliases; there didn't seem any point in posting
this.  For this to take effect, you will need to remove the Aliases
subdirectory of Src locally (since the .mdd files there aren't under CVS
control) and delete modules.index so that it is rebuilt --- remember, too,
to edit mymods.conf if that had any of the old aliases in it.  `cvs update
-Pd' is recommended for pruning old directories such as Src/Aliases, since
CVS isn't all that good at managing different versions of directory
hierarchies.

As discussed, I have not added any aliases for the new system.
If you want these, you can add lines like
  zmodload -A zle=zsh/zle compctl=zsh/compctl ...
to a startup file of your choice.  I am still quite prepared to discuss
having them builtin (but still under user control) if anyone thinks there
is enough need, but I suspect we can dispense with them for 4.0.

I wrote:
> `alias' can be used as a synonym for `module' in all contexts, but is only
> explicitly output if you specify `zmodload -A' or `zmodload -eA'.

(Which leaves me wondering when it is implicitly output, but I don't think
it ever is, whatever that means.)

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx>
Cambridge Silicon Radio, Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,