PATH_MAX again

On Sep 17, 12:47am, Bart Schaefer wrote:
}
} 1) Feeping or issuing an error message when a string that might be a
}    path name is "too long," even though that string isn't immediately
}    going to be copied into a buffer or even used as a pathname.  In
}    most of these cases I think we could just drop the test entirely.

Along those lines, does anyone know what the test of

	    if (sbptr == PATH_MAX) {
		feep = 1;
		continue;
	    }

in zle_hist.c:doisearch() is intended to accomplish?