Re: Functions for multiple commands

On Oct 6,  9:18am, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
}
} I thought of several ways to restructure these completion functions for
} multiple commands/contexts. Below are those I liked best.

You've probably run off to play with this over the weekend and I'm too
late to give much useful feedback, but:

} 1)
} Each command/context has its own function. The autoloaded function
} only defines those functions (and may contain other initialisation
} code, like defining cache-arrays or whatever).
}
} a)
} The code that handles `#digest' tags immediately calls them, during
} compinit.

I don't think I like that one.  Compinit has too much to do already.

} b)
} One way to avoid that: the function that handles `#digest' only saves the
} mappings from the autoloaded function to the sub-functions in an
} associative array, say $_digest. Keys are the autoloaded functions, values
} are formed like ' sub-func1 sub-func2 ...'.

What other interesting thing do you envisage doing with the autoloaded
function names that they need to be the keys?  Just unset the elements?

Why not have the keys be the sub-funcs and the values be the names of
the digests?  Instead of

    digest="${(k)_digest[(R)* $func *]}"	# only needs (r), BTW,
						# using your scheme
it's just

    digest=$_digest[$func]

which seems a whole lot more straightforward.  And if you need to go
from the digest name to the names of all functions it contains, it's

    funcs=(${(k)_digest[(R)$digest]})

Unsetting the elements can be done in a one-line loop over $funcs, so
I don't think that's enough reason to complicate everything else.

(I notice that you use $_digest[$func] in one of your examples for your
idea #2, so ...)

} We could of course add a helper function for that, which gets the name
} of the command/context as argument:
}
}   foo() {
}     local func digest
}     func="$_comp[$1]"
}     digest="${(k)_digest[(R)* $func *]}"
}     if [[ -n "$digest" ]]; then
}       "$digest"
}       unfunction "$digest"
}       unset "_digest[$digest]"
}     fi
}     "$func"
}   }

Er, I don't like that `unfunction $digest' in there:  It means that the
name of the digest can't be the name of one of the sub-functions (e.g.,
the way _rlogin is in the patch I sent).  Let the digest function do its
own unfunctioning, if that's appropriate.

} I'm not exactly sure how big a problem it is that this means that sub-
} functions are not directly callable.

How often is any completion-system function meant to be directly called?

} c)
} That could be avoided with a bit of magic, namely: the function handling
} `#digest' creates dummy-functions for the sub-functions [...]
} And in any case, digest-file writers would have to use:
}
}   (( $+functions[_foo] )) || _foo() { ... }

The dummy function must then unfunction *itself* before calling the
digest function, or none of the real sub-functions will ever become
defined!

However:

} so that sub-functions found earlier (in user-defined autoloaded files)
} override those found later.

I disagree with this (and it's use in _cvs continually annoys me, BTW,
because it makes it difficult to load a revised version into a running
shell).  Either those functions are all intended to be used together,
or they are not; if so, I want them all defined, and if not, they should
not all be contained in the same source file.

Rather than testing $+functions[...], I'd prefer to test $_comps[...]
in the way that was done in the _rlogin patch I sent.  If the user wants
to override a completion function with his own autoloads, he should also
explicitly compdef for that function.  (This of course doesn't apply to
helper functions that are designed to be replaced, only to completion
"callbacks" themselves.)

} 2)
} Using only one autoloaded function, no sub-functions. The function then
} uses a big `case', the `service' to use is given as the first argument

Returning to Jay's original example (using _rlogin for krsh et al.), how
is this idea qualitatively different from writing a little wrapper that
looks like:

    #compdef krsh krcp
    words[1]=$words[1]:s/k//
    _rlogin

} 2a)
} Instead of `#digest', we could also use `#compdef' and allow a special
} syntax to mean that for a certain command/context the autoloaded function
} should be called with a `service'-argument.

Aside: Using new compdef syntax instead of #digest would work with idea #1.

Let me ramble a little on this particular idea.  (As if I haven't already
been.)  Instead of an _digest assoc, we'd have an _services assoc.  Then
we'd change calls to the function in $_comps[$words[1]] to also pass as
an argument $_services[$words[1]].  The #compdef line could look like:

    #compdef -s rlogin=rlogin rsh=rsh remsh=rsh rcp=rcp
	The LHS of the = is the key into _comps and _services, the RHS
	is the value for that key in _services
or
    #compdef -S rlogin rsh remsh rcp
	Shorthand for rlogin=rlogin rsh=rsh remsh=remsh rcp=rcp

So the result (in the first case) would be that _comps[remsh]=_rlogin
and _services[remsh]=rsh, and so on.

The nice thing about this is that we don't need any special magic when
the function is called.  _normal always passes $_services[$words[1]]
when it exists.  Also, the meaning of the service is entirely up to the
called function; the completion system isn't forced to interpret it as
a function name.

I'm leaning heavily towards this approach, at the moment.

} 2b)
} And of course, we could also combine this with 1c) and define dummy
} functions for the `services' that just call the autoloaded function with
} the argument. Together with 2a) we could also add a second syntax to
} define `services' for which functions should be created (next to those
} for which no functions are created).

This sounds like it's getting too complicated.  We should pick one format
-- whichever requires the fewest extra steps for writers of new completion
functions and/or users who want to complete new commands with existing
"services" -- because as demonstrated in my _rlogin patch it's not that
difficult for the completion function to alter the way it will be called,
once it's successfully called the first time.

For example, suppose we choose (2a).  Then _rlogin could look something
like:

    #compdef -S rlogin rcp rsh remsh

    _rsh() {
	# guts of rsh service ...
    }
    _rcp() { ... }
    _rsh() { ... }

    case $1 in
    remsh) 1=rsh ;&
    rsh|rcp)
	_comps[$words[1]]=_$1
	unset _services[$words[1]]  # this is not even strictly necessary
	_$1 ;;
    *)
    	# guts of rlogin service ...
	;;
    esac

Thus turning (2a) into (1b).  I'm not sure what the ramifications of this
sort of thing would be for efficiency of .zwc file loading.